A VPN is software that enables to communicate privately over the computer networks through the technology called as tunnelling. The software applications of the VPN include servers, clients and utility programs. This article lists down the popular software applications of the VPN which can be downloaded for free and readily available on the Internet.
LogMeIn Hamachi – This VPN software is using a mediation server in establishing peer-to-peer connections through the UDP. This free software can be used by smaller non-commercial networks or a maximum of eight users.
- Cisco VPN Client – This software is supporting the IPSec connections and it runs on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. The system requirements when you use a Cisco VPN Client are the following: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows XP or the newer versions of the Microsoft Windows and Solaris Unix. The VPN Servers are supported by the following: Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrator Software 3.0, Cisco IOS Software 12.2 T, Cisco PIX Firewall Software 6.0 and all their later versions.
- OpenVPN – This is an open source VPN which is SSL-based. It can run on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows operating systems. OpenVPN is created for VPN which can be used and downloaded for free. When a VPN is used, it can protect traffic of data across all public networks and using one can improve computer security every time the user is connected to the remote servers of an office or Wi-Fi hotspots. In establishing VPN connections through the OpenVPN, it needs an installation of its server including its configuration data which are available to clients. In businesses or school network administrators, this kind of VPN server is normally used.
- HideIP – This is also a VPN service that is designed to give the user an anonymous Internet access based on the technology of the OpenVPN. The servers of the HideIP are using the US and United Kingdom based IP addresses to enable the folks from other countries reach geography that has limited access. You can use the services of HideIP for free but in limited quantity, if you want an unlimited subscription, it costs $10 every month.
- Anchor Free Hotspot Shield Free – This VPN service can run on Apple Mac, iOS devices, Android devices and PCs and contains advertising banners which are embedded. Also, the company is offering a paid version; they call it Hotspot Shield Elite. Subscribing this version means that it can remove advertising and it is inclusive of malware protection as well as other support features.
- Shimo2 – Shimo is a client for the Mac OS X computers while the newer version, the Shimo 2 does not only substitute on Macs for the Cisco but it is compatible with L2TP, PPTP and SSH.
- Tinc VPN Daemon – This VPN software is free and enables a virtual private networking through network device configuration or low-level daemon. This is originally designed for Unix/Linux networks as well as for Windows computers. Tinc is using tunnelling and encryption in order to create a private network that is secured between the Internet hosts. Since the VPN appears on the network code of the IP level as a network device that is normal, the existing software does not need to be adapted. With this, it allows sharing of information among VPN sites over the Internet and does not expose any information. It has the following features:
- All traffic can be compressed optionally with the use of LZO or zlib as well as OpenSSL. It is used to protect from alteration of authentic message sequence numbers and codes and can encrypt traffic.
- The VPN traffic is often sent to the destination directly without intermediate hops.
- It can easily expand the user’s VPN by adding extra configuration file.
- FreeS/WAN – This software is a solution for IPSec VPN for Linux networks. Today, it has stopped its development, the reason why researchers and students are interested in this solution.
If you are looking for free server and VPN client software, the list enumerated above is among the popular and trusted ones.